Saturday, February 20, 2010

Shutter Island

Anybody else just tired of seeing the trailers for this movie? Raise your hand - 1...2.. 3... 4... yeah me too. They've been advertising it for nearly a year and I had the darn trailer so memorized it was pathetic. I felt like I'd already seen the movie going in....

It's a big Scorsese picture done in true Hitchcock fashion. Great scenes, solid performances by a fabulous cast, good story... It is full of suspense (quite a bit of naughty bits in the language dept - something you never heard in Hitchcock) and overall a real solid movie.

There's a LOT of Leo - if you are a Leonardo DiCaprio fan then you'll eat this up with a spoon. He's in nearly every single scene.

I can't put my finger on what was missing or why I felt like it wasn't a huge, fabulous film. Maybe because so much felt like you'd been there and seen it if you have been a Hitchcock fan. Maybe because many scenes feel random - the plot and names mentioned get thick and a little hard to follow - and at one point a bit past midway I was asking myself if I care anymore about this thing. It didn't feel that it was progressing.

It all comes together finally, which is good.

Overall if you like suspense and Leo and Hitchcock, one or all three, you'll most likely enjoy this movie. It was a big crowd on a bitter cold Sat afternoon. Pueblo Tinseltown was the place - hot fresh popcorn with sprinkle cheese and we dodged the crowds to find our place. Shutter Island had a good crowd.

This gets a 3. It was fun.

No comments: