Friday, June 03, 2011

X-Men First Class

Good Times at the movies - been waiting for this one to come out and it does not disappoint!

This X-Men movie is a prequel, showing us where everybody came from and how they got to be who they are. Every since I was a little kid those were always my favorite episodes - I loved the comics showing Superman as Superboy and how he grew up and discovered his powers. I loved Spiderman comics and loved Toby Maguire being bitten for the first time and trying to figure out how to harness his new powers. So this movie is a natural LIKE for me - getting to see The Beginning and if not exactly how the powers are discovered, at least how they're grown and harnessed.

It's quite a lot of fun seeing each new person come onto the scene. There are new faces and new powers here that I don't remember ever seeing - neither did my son who checked this one out with me. There are a couple of cameos that are very cool and neat little surprises.

The pacing is nice - not frantic and overloaded but never drags, either. It just moves right along and you get swept along with it. The effects are excellent, the story is interesting, and my only problem is that Kevin Bacon is in this movie. Nothing against Kevin Bacon, but over and over I was absorbed in the story and they would cut to Kevin Bacon and that would jar me right out of the movie and back to reality. Everyone else plays wonderfully as their character - he was.... well, always Kevin Bacon. He made me laugh at least 4 times (out loud) - at times in the script that were decidedly not funny. :)

This is a fun movie - even if you're not a big X-Men fan. Just about anybody could go along with their geek friends and still have a good time. Just ask them to explain some parts of it to you later over burgers.

We gave this one a 3 teetering on a 4. A 3.5

Pueblo Tinseltown was the place. Caleb sold us our tickets while assuring us it wasn't overly crowded yet (or we wouldn't have gone - no front row for me, thank you) and James did a great job of serving up hot, FRESH, Orville Reddenbocker popcorn from the new BIG poppers they just installed - very YUM. Super Manager Shane was on hand to grab me a quick refill later so I didn't miss the movie - that man is fast! Great job, you guys.

No comments: