Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Help

I have to admit to having an attitude - and not a good one - about this movie. After seeing the previews I thought "Uh huh - here we go - another movie rewriting history, with the white girl coming along to save the poor black folks." Yes, I admit it. That was my knee jerk reaction. I wasn't sure I would even see the movie.

But it's opening day and I couldn't resist. I snuck off to check it out and this is one of the best movies I have ever seen!

What a tremendous story with an amazing cast! It is skillfully acted, skillfully directed, skillfully written. It stars the very talented Viola Davis, and Emma Stone and Octavia Spencer. Sissy Spacek has a small but key, powerful, hilarious role. And the amazing Cicely Tyson is here to light up the screen. Bryce Dallas Howard plays the evil Hilly Holbrook - I just can't say enough for the outstanding acting. There are just no weak links. Viola Davis needs to walk away with an Oscar for her part, IMO. But then so could 3 others in this movie - the acting is wonderful.

It takes place in Jackson Mississippi in the 60s and gives us a first hand look at the laws and racism that was blatantly commonplace. The three main characters form a unlikely and very dangerous friendship at great risk to themselves and their families, to shed light on the injustices and try to make the world a little bit better. We go along on this trip with them, through the ups and downs and realizing the dangers and the reasons.

The story is layered and sneaks up on you at times. And I'll admit to one other thing - I laughed so hard and shed tears at least 3 times - all in the same movie. As a rule I do not cry at movies. Even when they're sad, even when they're very very sad - it's still just a movie. But this one got me not once, not twice, but three times. I believe it's powerful.

Pueblo Tinseltown was the place. There was a good sized crowd (especially for a Wed. afternoon!) and it roared with laughter several times, and was silent many others. Ryne sold me the ticket with a smile and David served up fresh, hot popcorn and sprinkle cheese. A great movie experience. I ran off alone to check this out but may have to go back with others and see it again.

I gave this one a "5". Go see it!

No comments: