Friday, March 27, 2009

Duplicity

When I first saw the trailer for Duplicity I thought, "Julia Roberts stars in her very own Ocean's Eleven.... without the eleven." That was pretty close. The only problem is that Ocean's Eleven was a great movie compared to this one.

If you are a HUGE Julia Roberts fan (I am not) and would pay money just to be able to stare are her for an hour and a half, then you'll get your money's worth.

Clive Owen is her co-star and although he's not bad on the eyes, he's also not enough to carry this tangled, complicated, convoluted, jumble of a movie.

It's supposed to be a spy double and triple-cross kind of story, but the twist is that the spies are working for corporations rather than countries. And the two main characters have a weird relationship where they sort of are attracted but never trust each other an inch and are constantly double guessing each other and themselves. It gets tiresome.

There are flashbacks that get jumbled around, and talking, talking and more talking. There are characters you don't care about at all and it all becomes quite boring in the middle. I contemplated walking out - something I just don't do. (That's the rule - I paid my money, I'm seeing this thing) Couldn't help it that I considered leaving, my mind just kept drifting off to so many other things I could be doing that were more enjoyable (I need to clean out my fridge...)

The ending was decent, so we're supposed to leave the theater with a "the end justifies all that we put you through" kind of feeling. Only I don't feel that way. They wasted a whole lot of my time unnecessarily getting me to anything resembling a point.

I'm calling this a stinker. It's someplace between a 1 and a 2.... we'll say a 2 because the popcorn at Pueblo Tinseltown was fresh and hot, and because the ending was interesting.

No comments: