Sunday, September 13, 2009

Extract

We saw this movie last week - on Tuesday or Wednesday I think.... and I forgot to write the review. :\ I guess that says alot right there.

Being a Jason Bateman fan, I knew I would like watching this no matter what it was about. And that was true - he's very good in this movie as a husband in a dead end and dull marriage, who owns a flavor extract factory.

There is a lot of great talent here - Gene Simmons plays a schmarmy lawyer, Ben Affleck is Bateman's best bud. I'm not an Affleck fan at all - he's always the same in every movie. They just dress him differently, he loses or gains weight, they stick different hair on him, and he's always Affleck. Not the sign of an actor. In this movie he's a bit of a Tommy Chong burn out druggie character, and I don't think it went well on him at all. Kirsten Wiig (from SNL) was wonderful - this is the first we've seen her outside of tv and she did a great job.

Extract was written and directed by Mike Judge so if you're a King of the Hill, Beavis and Butthead kind of fan, you will love this movie. I'm not. It's also a bit of Office Space (which was a GREAT movie!) and that plus Jason Bateman is the reason I bought a ticket.

We summed the whole movie up with one word - "Pleasant". There were a few laughs, many chuckles or light giggles, and overall the movie just moves along pleasantly. Nice couple of hours, nothing too memorable. We gave it a "3".

Pueblo Tinseltown was the place, a mid week, mid day escape. I'm still on a broken foot and hobbling in was a bit painful but worth it. Popcorn and sprinkle cheese was fresh and delish!

No comments: